- Std Base. This is not really a workbench, but rather a category of 'standard' commands and tools that can be used in all workbenches.
- The Arch Workbench for working with architectural elements.
- The Draft Workbench contains 2D tools and basic 2D and 3D CAD operations.
- The FEM Workbench provides Finite Element Analysis (FEA) workflow.
- The Image Workbench for working with bitmap images.
- The Inspection Workbench is made to give you specific tools for examination of shapes. It is still under development.
- The Mesh Workbench for working with triangulated meshes.
- The OpenSCAD Workbench for interoperability with OpenSCAD and repairing constructive solid geometry (CSG) model history.
- The Part Workbench for working with CAD parts.
- The Part Design Workbench for building Part shapes from sketches.
- The Path Workbench is used to produce G-Code instructions. It is still under development.
- The Points Workbench for working with point clouds.
- The Raytracing Workbench for working with ray-tracing (rendering).
- The Reverse Engineering Workbench is intended to provide specific tools to convert shapes/solids/meshes into parametric FreeCAD-compatible features. It is still under development.
- The Robot Workbench for studying robot movements.
- The Sketcher Workbench for working with geometry-constrained sketches.
- The Spreadsheet Workbench for creating and manipulating spreadsheet data.
- The Start Center Workbench allows you to quickly jump to one of the most common workbenches.
- The Surface Workbench provides tools to create and modify surfaces. It is similar to the Part Builder Face from edges option.
- The TechDraw Workbench for producing technical drawings from 3D models. It is the successor of the Drawing Workbench.
- The Test Framework Workbench is for debugging FreeCAD.
The following workbenches are still included in the base installation for compatibility purposes, but they should no longer be used.
- The Complete Workbench holds all commands and features from all workbenches that met certain quality criteria. obsolete in version 0.17
- The Drawing Workbench was used for producing technical drawings but has now been deprecated. It is still needed to read old FreeCAD files that contain objects created with this workbench. The TechDraw Workbench is its more advanced replacement. obsolete in version 0.17