|TechDraw → TechDraw Views → Insert Section View|
|Introduced in version|
|TechDraw ComplexSection, TechDraw View, TechDraw Projection Group|
The TechDraw SectionView tool inserts a cross-section view based on an existing part view.
Sectioning an already placed view, which shows the internal holes and a hatched cut surface.
The top image shows the ANSI arrow format.
The bottom image shows the ISO arrow format.
- Select a part view in the 3D view or Tree view.
- There are several ways to invoke the tool:
- A task panel opens which will help calculate the various properties. Reasonable values for the view Direction are calculated, but these can be changed.
Taskview to define the sectional cut of a view
Properties Section View
See also TechDraw View.
- DataFuse Before Cut (
Bool): Fuse the source shapes before performing the section cut.
- DataTrim After Cut (
Bool): Additionally trim the resulting shape after the section cut to remove any unwanted pieces.
Cut Surface Format
- DataCut Surface Display (
Enumeration): Appearance of the cut surface. Options:
- DataFile Hatch Pattern (
File): Full path to SVG hatch pattern file.
- DataFile Geom Pattern (
File): Full path to PAT pattern file.
- DataSvg Included (
FileIncluded): Full path to the included SVG hatch pattern file.
- DataPat Included (
FileIncluded): Full path to the included PAT pattern file.
- DataName Geom Pattern (
String): Name of the PAT pattern to use.
- DataHatch Scale (
Float): Hatch pattern size adjustment.
- DataSection Symbol (
String): The identifier for this section.
- DataBase View (
Link): The view on which this section is based.
- DataSection Normal (
Vector): A vector describing the direction normal to the cutting plane.
- DataSection Origin (
Vector): A vector describing a point on the cutting plane. Typically the centroid of the original part.
- DataSection Direction (
Enumeration): The direction in the Base View for this section. Options:
- ViewCut Surface Color (
Color): Solid color for surface highlight. Used if DataCut Surface Display is set to
- View (Hidden)Show Cut Surface (
Bool): Show/hide the cut surface.
- ViewGeom Hatch Color (
Color): The color of the Geometric hath pattern.
- ViewHatch Color (
Color): The color of the Svg hatch pattern.
- View (Hidden)Hatch Cut Surface (
Bool): Hatch the cut surface.
- ViewWeight Pattern (
Float): Line weight of the Geometric hatch pattern.
Properties Base View
A Section view inherits all applicable properties of the view specified as DataBase View. In the properties of this view you can change the appearance of the section line:
- ViewSection Line Color: The section line color.
- ViewSection Line Style: The section line style.
The default settings for these parameters are set via the settings Section Line and Section Line Style in the TechDraw preferences.
- Section Line Format: two section line formats are supported (as depicted above) and controlled by the Preference setting "Section Line Standard" on the Annotation tab. The
ANSIoption uses "pulling arrows" (known as the "traditional format" in some areas) and the
ISOoption uses "pushing arrows" (also known as the "reference arrow format").
- Fuse Before Cut: the section operation sometimes fails to cut the source shapes. If Fuse Before Cut is true, the source shapes are merged into a single shape before the section operation is attempted. If you encounter problems with the section operation, try flipping this value.
- Trim After Cut: the section cut operation sometimes leaves behind a portion of the source shape. If Trim After Cut is true, an additional cut operation is performed on the result of the first cut which should remove any unwanted pieces.
- Cut Surface Display: the cut surface can be hidden, painted in a solid color, hatched using an Svg pattern (default) or hatched using a PAT pattern. See Hatching.
doc = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument box = doc.Box page = doc.Page view = doc.addObject("TechDraw::DrawViewPart", "View") page.addView(view) view.Source = box view.Direction = (0, 0, 1) section = doc.addObject("TechDraw::DrawViewSection", "Section") page.addView(section) section.Source = box section.BaseView = view section.Direction = (0, 1, 0) section.SectionNormal = (-1, 0, 0) doc.recompute()
For some more information about section views and some use cases, have a look at: TechDraw section examples.