|Edit → Send to Python Console
|Introduced in version
The Std SendToPythonConsole command creates variables in the Python console referencing a selected object and its selected subshapes, along with some other useful references. The variables and the code involved can be used in the development of Python code.
Depending on the selected object and its selected subshapes, if any, the following variables are created:
|The document containing the selected object
|The selected Link object (only created if the selected object is a Link)
|Depending on the selected object:|
The selected object itself (if the selected object is not a Link)
The Linked object (if the selected object is a Link)
|Depending on the type of |
Shape property of
obj (for objects derived from the
Mesh property of
obj (for Mesh objects)
Points property of
obj (for Points objects)
|The first selected subshape (only created if at least one subshape is selected)
|A list containing all subshapes (only created if two or more subshapes are selected)
>>> ### Begin command Std_SendToPythonConsole
>>> except Exception:
>>> doc = App.getDocument("Unnamed")
>>> lnk = doc.getObject("Link")
>>> obj = lnk.getLinkedObject()
>>> shp = obj.Shape
>>> sub = obj.getSubObject("Edge10")
>>> subs = [obj.getSubObject("Edge10"),obj.getSubObject("Face3"),obj.getSubObject("Vertex5"),]
>>> ### End command Std_SendToPythonConsole
Example output: an edge, a face, and a vertex of a Link to a Part Box were selected
- Select a single object or one or more subshapes belonging to a single object.
- There are several ways to invoke the command:
- Select the Edit → Send to Python Console option from the menu.
- Select the Send to Python Console option from the Tree view context menu or 3D view context menu.
- Use the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+P.
- If required the Python console opens.
- The Python console receives the keyboard focus.
- All previously created variables are deleted each time the command is run.
- If the selected object is a Link (
App::Link) and the Linked object is derived from the
Part::Feature class, the
shp variable will be the shape of the Linked object. If the Link has been transformed or scaled and you want to access the scaled/transformed shape, you can do so with this code:
lnk_shp = Part.getShape(lnk)
- File: New, Open, Close, Close All, Save, Save As, Save a Copy, Save All, Revert, Import, Export,Merge project, Project information, Print, Print preview, Export PDF, Recent files, Exit
- Edit: Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Duplicate selection, Refresh, Box selection, Box element selection, Select All, Delete, Send to Python Console, Placement, Transform, Alignment, Toggle Edit mode, Edit mode, Preferences
- Miscellaneous: Create new view, Orthographic view, Perspective view, Fullscreen, Bounding box, Toggle axis cross, Clipping plane, Texture mapping, Toggle navigation/Edit mode, Appearance, Random color, Workbench, Status bar
- Standard views: Fit all, Fit selection, Isometric, Dimetric, Trimetric, Home, Front, Top, Right, Rear, Bottom, Left, Rotate Left, Rotate Right
- Freeze display: Save views, Load views, Freeze view, Clear views
- Draw style: As is, Points, Wireframe, Hidden line, No shading, Shaded, Flat lines
- Stereo: Stereo red/cyan, Stereo quad buffer, Stereo Interleaved Rows, Stereo Interleaved Columns, Stereo Off, Issue camera position
- Zoom: Zoom In, Zoom Out, Box zoom
- Document window: Docked, Undocked, Fullscreen
- Visibility: Toggle visibility, Show selection, Hide selection, Select visible objects, Toggle all objects, Show all objects, Hide all objects, Toggle selectability, Toggle measurement, Clear measurement
- Toolbars: File, Workbench, Macro, View, Structure
- Panels: Report view, Tree view, Property view, Selection view, Combo view, Python console, DAG view
- Tree view actions: Sync view, Sync selection, Sync placement, Pre-selection, Record selection, Single document, Multi document, Collapse/Expand, Initiate dragging, Go to selection
- Tools: Edit parameters, Save picture, Scene inspector, Dependency graph, Project utility, Measure distance, Add text document, View turntable, Units calculator, Customize, Addon manager
- Macro: Macro recording, Stop macro recording, Macros, Recent macros, Execute macro, Attach to remote debugger, Debug macro, Stop debugging, Step over, Step into, Toggle breakpoint
- Structure and Link: Std Part, Std Group, Make link, Make sub-link, Replace with link, Unlink, Import links, Import all links, Go to linked object, Go to deepest linked object, Select all links
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot