|Sketch → Sketcher geometries → Split edge
|Introduced in version
This tool splits an edge into two, with existing applicable constraints being copied to the new edge. The position of the point where the edges meet is not constrained. Periodic curves (i.e. circles, ellipses and periodic B-splines) are converted to non-periodic curves (respectively arcs of circles, arcs of ellipses and non-periodic B-splines).
- Press the Split edge button. The mouse pointer turns into a white cross with a red split symbol.
- Click on the edge in the place where you want to split it.
- From the line and arc edges, two new will be created, connected at the point clicked. A circle is converted to an arc with the very same center point and other constraints the original circle had.
- Pressing Esc or pressing the right mouse button will terminate the function.
- In version 0.20 and below the action is not supported for ellipses, parabolas, hyperbolas and B-splines.
- All coincidences are transferred - start point, end point and center point (if applicable).
- Point on object constraint is transferred to the closer newly created edge.
- Vertical and horizontal constraints are copied to both offsprings.
- Parallel and perpendicular constraints are copied for both line segments, for arc only once, to the closer part.
- Equality constraint is transferred only for resulting arc edges, line segments do not receive it.
- Symmetry constraint is currently not transferred.
- Block constraint is currently not transferred.
- Horizontal, vertical and length constraints between points are transferred to the outer points of the new edges.
- Point distance constraint is assigned only once, to the closer edge segment.
- Radius and diameter constraints are copied to any resulting arc.
- Angle constraint is currently not transferred
- General: Create sketch, Edit sketch, Map sketch to face, Reorient sketch, Validate sketch, Merge sketches, Mirror sketch, Leave sketch, View sketch, View section, Toggle grid, Toggle snap, Configure rendering order, Stop operation
- Sketcher geometries: Point, Line, Arc, Arc by 3 points, Circle, Circle by 3 points, Ellipse, Ellipse by 3 points, Arc of ellipse, Arc of hyperbola, Arc of parabola, B-spline by control points, Periodic B-spline by control points, B-spline by knots, Periodic B-spline by knots, Polyline, Rectangle, Centered rectangle, Rounded rectangle, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon, Octagon, Regular polygon, Slot, Fillet, Corner-preserving fillet, Trim, Extend, Split, External geometry, Carbon copy, Toggle construction geometry
- Sketcher constraints:
- Geometric constraints: Coincident, Point on object, Vertical, Horizontal, Parallel, Perpendicular, Tangent, Equal, Symmetric, Block
- Dimensional constraints: Lock, Horizontal distance, Vertical distance, Distance, Radius or weight, Diameter, Auto radius/diameter, Angle, Refraction (Snell's law)
- Constraint tools: Toggle driving/reference constraint, Activate/deactivate constraint
- Sketcher tools: Select unconstrained DoF, Select associated constraints, Select associated geometry, Select redundant constraints, Select conflicting constraints, Show/hide internal geometry, Select origin, Select horizontal axis, Select vertical axis, Symmetry, Clone, Copy, Move, Rectangular array, Remove axes alignment, Delete all geometry, Delete all constraints
- Sketcher B-spline tools: Show/hide B-spline degree, Show/hide B-spline control polygon, Show/hide B-spline curvature comb, Show/hide B-spline knot multiplicity, Show/hide B-spline control point weight, Convert geometry to B-spline, Increase B-spline degree, Decrease B-spline degree, Increase knot multiplicity, Decrease knot multiplicity, Insert knot, Join curves
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web