Path Pocket Shape
Path Pocket Shape
|Path → Pocket Shape|
|Introduced in version|
The Pocket Shape tool creates a pocketing operation from selected bottom faces, or walls, of one or more pockets of the jobs base object.
The Path Pocket Shape object is made to be part of a Path Job.
- Select the bottom or the wall(s) of a pocket. While it is usually easier to select the bottom, the walls have to be selected when a pocket goes through all.
- There are several ways to invoke the command:
- Press the Path Pocket Shape button.
- Select the Path → Pocket Shape option from the menu.
- Adjust the desired properties.
Note : Not all of these Properties are available in the Task Window Editor. Some are only accessible in the Data tab of the Properties View panel for this Operation.
Note: It is suggested that you do not edit the Placement property of path operations. Rather, move or rotate the Path Job model as needed.
- DataPlacement: Overall placement[position and rotation] of the object - with respect to the origin (or origin of parent object container)
- DataAngle: Angle in degrees applied to rotation of the object around Axis property value
- DataAxis: Axis (one or multiple) around which to rotate the object, set in sub-properties: X, Y, Z
- DataX: X axis value
- DataY: Y axis value
- DataZ: Z axis value
- DataPosition: Position of the object, set in sub-properties: X, Y, Z - with respect to the origin (or origin of parent object container)
- DataX: X distance value
- DataY: Y distance value
- DataZ: Z distance value
- DataLabel: User-provided name of the object (UTF-8)
- DataClearance Height: The height needed to clear clamps and obstructions
- DataFinal Depth: Final Depth of Tool- lowest value in Z
- DataFinish Depth: Maximum material removed on final pass. The height (thickness) of the last cutting level - set for a better finish.
- DataSafe Height: The height above which Rapid motions are allowed. (Rapid safety height between locations)
- DataStart Depth: Starting depth of Tool - first cut depth in Z
- DataStep Down: Incremental step down of Tool during operation
Visual reference for Depth properties (settings)
- DataExtension Corners: When enabled connected extension edges are combined to wires.
- DataExtension Length Default: Default length of extensions.
- DataOffset Pattern: Clearing pattern to use. (Select in which manner the horizontal movements should be done.)
- DataActive: Make False, to prevent operation from generating code
- DataComment: An optional comment for this Operation
- DataUser Label: User assigned label
- DataTool Controller: Defines the Tool controller used in the Operation
- DataCut Mode: Specifies a CW or CCW move for the cut
- DataExtra Offset: Extra offset to apply to the operation. Direction is operation dependent. (Extra value to stay away from final profile good for roughing toolpath)
- DataKeep Tool Down: Attempts to avoid unnecessary retractions.
- DataMin Travel: Use 3D Sorting of Path (when multiple base geometries used).
- DataStart At: Start pocketing at center or boundary.
- DataStep Over: Select the horizontal step over (Percent of tool diameter: 100% = tool diameter).
- DataUse Outline: Uses the outline of the base geometry.
- DataZig Zag Angle: Angle of the zigzag pattern. (Select the path angle relative to X axis.)
- DataAttempt Inverse Angle: Automatically attempt Inverse Angle if initial rotation is incorrect.
DataB_Axis Error Override: Visually orient B(y) rotations to model (error in FreeCAD rendering).
- DataEnable Rotation: Enable rotation to gain access to pockets or areas not normal to Z axis.
- DataInverse Angle: Inverse the angle of the rotation. Example: change a rotation from -22.5 to 22.5 degrees.
- DataReverse Direction: Reverse orientation of Operation by 180 degrees.
- DataStart Point: The start point of this path.
- DataUse Start Point: Make True, if manually specifying a Start Point, then enter Start Points in the property data Start Points field.
Tasks Window Editor Layout
Descriptions for the settings are provided in the Properties list above.
This section is simply a layout map of the settings in the window editor for the Operation.
- Add: Adds selected element(s) which should be the base(s) for the path(s)
- Delete: Delete the selected item(s) in the Base Geometry list
- Clear: Clear all items in the Base Geometry list
- DataShow All: If selected, all potential extensions are visualized. Enabled extensions in purple, disabled extensions in yellow.
- DataExtension Corners
- DataExtension Length Default
- DataStart Depth
- DataFinal Depth
- DataStep Down
- DataSafe Height
- DataClearance Height
- DataTool Controller
- DataCut Mode
- DataPattern (Offset Pattern)
- DataAngle (Zig Zag Angle)
- DataStep Over Percent (Step Over)
- DataPass Extension: The distance the facing operation will extend beyond the boundary shape (base geometry)
See also: FreeCAD Scripting Basics.
#Place code example here.
- Project Commands: Job, Post Process, Check the path job for common errors, Export Template
- Tool Commands: Inspect Path Commands, CAM Simulator, Finish Selecting Loop, Toggle the Active State of the Operation, ToolBit Library editor, ToolBit Dock
- Basic Operations: Profile, Pocket Shape, Drilling, Face, Helix, Adaptive, Slot, Engrave, Deburr, Vcarve
- 3D Operations: 3D Pocket, 3D Surface, Waterline
- Path Modification: Copy the operation in the job, Array, Simple Copy
- Specialty Operations: Thread Milling
- Miscellaneous: Area, Area workplane
- ToolBit architecture: Tools, ToolShape, ToolBit, ToolBit Library, ToolController
- Additional: Preferences, Scripting
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Hubs: User hub, Power users hub, Developer hub