|Path → Adaptive|
|Introduced in version|
The Adaptive tool uses an adaptive algorithm to create clearing and profiling paths that manage cutter engagement so that engagement and material removal never exceed a maximum value.
Usage instructions for the Adaptive operation are presented here.
- Press the Adaptive icon, or select the Path → Adaptive from the top menu.
- Select the tool controller for the Operation from the Tool controller dialogue pop up window, if prompted.
- Adjust the operation depths as needed in the Depths tab: Start Depth, Finish Depth, Step Down.
- Make adjustments in Heights tab if needed.
- Configure settings in the Operations tab:
- (See the Properties → Adaptive section below.)
- Set the Step Over value as a percentage of the diameter of the Tool.
- If you wish to preview the result before accepting the settings, click Apply
- Click OK button to confirm and generate paths.
Preliminary Notes About Adaptive Clearing
- Depending on the size and complexity of the area for the operation, is might be better to not recompute the operation after every property change; rather, consider:
- The Adaptive operation might contain a few bugs yet to be clearly identified. Please report bugs and issues in the FreeCAD Path/CAM Forum.
- All tool shapes may not be respected with this operation. Check the FreeCAD forum for further details.
- Should you choose to run the path simulator in the Path Workbench, it only uses the standard end mill to simulate paths. Therefore, you will not see tool-shape-specific material removal. Material removal is shown using the end mill shape.
Note : The names of some Properties in this list differ a little from the same settings used in the Task Window Editor.
- DataForce Inside-Out: Force plunging into material inside and clearing towards the edges
- DataHelix Angle: Helix ramp entry angle (degrees)
- DataHelix Cone Angle: Angle (degrees) of conical helix
- DataHelix Diameter Limit: Limit helix entry diameter, if limit larger than tool diameter or 0, tool diameter is used
- DataKeep Tool Down Ratio: Max length of keep tool down path compared to direct distance between points
- DataLift Distance: Lift distance for rapid moves
- DataOperation Type: Type of adaptive operation: Clearing or Profiling
- DataSide: Side of selected faces that tool should cut: Inside or Outside
- DataStep Over: Percent of cutter diameter to step over on each pass
- DataStock to Leave: How much stock to leave (i.e. for a separate finishing operation)
- DataTolerance: Influences accuracy and performance
- DataUse Helix Arcs: Use Arcs (G2) for helix ramp
Note: It is suggested that you do not edit the Placement property of path operations. Rather, move or rotate the Path Job model as needed.
- DataPlacement: Overall placement[position and rotation] of the object - with respect to the origin (or origin of parent object container)
- DataAngle: Angle in degrees applied to rotation of the object around Axis property value
- DataAxis: Axis (one or multiple) around which to rotate the object, set in sub-properties: X, Y, Z
- DataX: X axis value
- DataY: Y axis value
- DataZ: Z axis value
- DataPosition: Position of the object, set in sub-properties: X, Y, Z - with respect to the origin (or origin of parent object container)
- DataX: X distance value
- DataY: Y distance value
- DataZ: Z distance value
- DataLabel: User-provided name of the object (UTF-8)
- DataClearance Height: The height needed to clear clamps and obstructions
- DataFinal Depth: Final Depth of Tool- lowest value in Z
- DataFinish Depth: Maximum material removed on final pass.
- DataSafe Height: The above which Rapid motions are allowed.
- DataStart Depth: Starting Depth of Tool- first cut depth in Z
- DataStep Down: Incremental Step Down of Tool
- DataActive: Make False, to prevent operation from generating code
- DataComment: An optional comment for this Operation
- DataTool Controller: Defines the Tool controller used in the Operation
- DataUser Label: User assigned label
Tasks Window Editor Layout
Descriptions for these settings are provided in the Properties list above.
This section is simply a layout map of the settings in the window editor for the Operation.
- Add: Adds selected element(s) which should be the base(s) for the path(s).
- Delete: Delete the selected item(s) in the Base Geometry list.
- Clear: Clear all items in the Base Geometry list.
- DataStart Depth
- DataFinal Depth
- DataFinish Depth
- DataStep Down
- DataSafe Height
- DataClearance Height
- DataTool Controller
- DataCut Region (Side)
- DataOperation Type
- DataStep Over Percent
- DataAccuracy vs Performance (Tolerance)
- DataHelix Ramp Angle
- DataHelix Cone Angle
- DataHelix Max Diameter (Helix Diameter Limit)
- DataLift Distance
- DataKeep Tool Down Ratio
- DataStock to Leave
- DataForce Clearing Inside-Out
In case Path Adaptive creates some unwanted paths, try with a DataStock to Leave set to
0.001 mm or more. You can reduce the diameter of the tool by double that amount to keep the paths exact.
A proposed bugfix is available (but no one is working on integrating it):
- Author's GitHub page for the original project: kreso-t/FreeCAD_Mod_Adaptive_Path
- Active topic in FreeCAD forums for Path Adaptive operation: Adaptive Path/CAM Operation
- Project Commands: Job, Post Process, Check the path job for common errors, Export Template
- Tool Commands: Inspect Path Commands, CAM Simulator, Finish Selecting Loop, Toggle the Active State of the Operation, ToolBit Library editor, ToolBit Dock
- Basic Operations: Profile, Pocket Shape, Drilling, Face, Helix, Adaptive, Slot, Engrave, Deburr, Vcarve
- 3D Operations: 3D Pocket, 3D Surface, Waterline
- Path Modification: Copy the operation in the job, Array, Simple Copy
- Specialty Operations: Thread Milling
- Miscellaneous: Area, Area workplane
- ToolBit architecture: Tools, ToolShape, ToolBit, ToolBit Library, ToolController
- Additional: Preferences, Scripting
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Hubs: User hub, Power users hub, Developer hub