|Part → Boolean → Union
|Introduced in version
|Part Boolean, Part Cut, Part Common
Thetool fuses (unites) selected Part objects into one. This operation is fully parametric and the components can be modified and the result recomputed.
Note: This command is an automated form of the Boolean operation.
- Select two or more shapes
- There are several ways to invoke the command:
- Press the button in the Part tools toolbar
- Use the Part → Boolean → Union entry in the Part menu
Input objects must be OpenCASCADE shapes. Examples: stuff made with Part, PartDesign, Sketcher workbenches. Not meshes (unless those were converted to shapes) - for meshes, there are specific Boolean tools in MeshDesign workbench.
- Solid + Solid: the result is a solid that occupies all the volume covered by the inputs
- Shell + Shell, Shell + Face, Face + Face: the result is a shell. Where faces intersect, they are split. Shells can be non-manifold. After fusion, faces can be united by Refining the result.
- Wire + Wire, Edge + Wire, Edge + Edge: the result is a wire. Edges are split where they intersect.
Compounds are supported; however, it is assumed that shapes packed into a compound do not touch or intersect. If they actually do, Fusion will likely fail, or produce an incorrect result.
Items can be added and removed from a fusion, by dragging them in or out of the fusion feature in the tree view with the mouse. To drag items out of a fusion you have to drop them onto the document node (the filename) of your model. A manual recompute (press Refresh/Recompute icon) is required to see the results.key or click on the
After this operation is complete, it may be necessary to clean up the shape with RefineShape.