This page will orient new developers on how to setup their development environments in order to hack on the FEM workbench.
Setting up a Dev Environment
Compiling via Source
Compiling via Docker
Source Code Management
Keeping FreeCAD up-to-date is documented in Source code management page. Along with useful
FEM Code Infrastructure
The FEM code lives in
App/console-mode application, defines basic structures and base classes for document objects, that are used by modules to build their own.
Gui/GUI-mode application, defines the 3D view, tools/functions used by workbench to interact with UI and 3D view, defines base classes for view providers.
Please see coding_conventions.md file on the FreeCAD repository.
Adding New FEM Solvers
A new FEM solver requires the following:
- Mesh exporter
- Results importer
- Solver object (needs changes in solver settings, unit tests, ObjectsFem modules as well)
- Task and writer module (here is where the main solver input writing happens)
- GUI tool to create a solver
- GUI preference tab to set the solver binary path
- A solver input writing unit test. Best to take the ccx cantilever. This is available for all mesh element types
- Having one or two beers
- Extend FEM Module
- The implementation efforts of the oofem solver
- The implementation efforts of the myStran solver
Writing Unit Tests