Jump to navigation Jump to search
Below is a checklist to help students get set up quickly. Items are categorized to help you prepare your application, get set up to work, and become familiarized with basic infrastructure.
IN ORDER TO APPLY
- Check out our Project Ideas
- Introduce yourself! Don't be shy. Forum: Developer/User Forum Chat: #freecad See IRC if you've never used it before. Ask specific questions and wait! Web interface here.
- Begin your application, see guidelines
- Discuss and share your project details (don't wait!)
- See some examples of awesome proposals, add detail to yours :)
- Submit your application!
- Make a useful patch (be awesome)
IF YOU GET SELECTED, BEFORE CODING BEGINS
- Agree to the requirements (you must do this in writing)
- Read our expectations (read it ALL, we will quiz you later)
- Set up an interaction schedule with your mentors
- Fill out your profile (one sentence summary, your name, link to abstract, project plan, dev log, and final report)
- Get familiarized with web resources: Homepage, Wiki, Forum
- Post your proposal online (on our wiki is fine)
- Describe your project plan
- Document a list of 3 to 10 milestones
- Announce your plan via Chat and/or E-mail (discuss and make adjustments)
- Download the source code, get set up (compile, install, run) Source & Compiling
ONCE CODING BEGINS
- Write maintainable, portable, complete code
- Keep a daily log of your activities online somewhere (a blog or your wiki user page is great for this)
- Provide a midterm report on your project progress to the mailing list as well as posting it to your blog or wiki log.
- Stay motivated, engage other devs, allocate time for discussions
- Provide a final report on your project progress to the mailing list
- Keep working on FreeCAD :-)
- Submit patches to get familiarized with code; find small tasks like these