|Mesh → FEM mesh from shape by Netgen|
|Introduced in version|
For a finite element analysis the geometry needs to be discretized into a FEM Mesh. This command uses Netgen (which needs to be installed on the system) for calculating the mesh.
Depending on your operating system and your installation package Netgen might be bundled with FreeCAD or not. For further information see FEM Install.
- Select the shape you want to analyze. For a volume, this needs to be a solid or compsolid. A compsolid is necessary if your part is made from multiple materials. (A compsolid can be created with the Part BooleanFragments command.)
- Optionally, edit the parameters.
- Click the button to make a mesh, or button to make a mesh and close the dialogue.
- DataMax. Size: Maximum size of the element in mm.
- DataSecond order: Second order elements contain more nodes per element. Usually, it is enough to use rougher mesh to obtain same solution precision as with the first order elements,
- true (default); second order elements,
- false; first order elements.
- DataFineness: Offers predefined levels of mesh density.
- DataGrowth Rate: Defines how much adjacent elements can differ in size.
- DataNb. Segs per Edge: Defines the minimum number of mesh segments per edge.
- DataNb. Segs per Radius: Defines the minimum number of mesh segments per radius.
- true (default): applies optimization algorithm to improve mesh quality