The FCGear Workbench is an external workbench for manufacturing different types of gears and worm gears in FreeCAD. The parametric modelling allows the required geometries to be changed at any time. For example, by changing a few parameters, the involute gear becomes either a spur gear, helical gear or double helical gear.
In order for the results from FCGear to be usable, a certain amount of basic knowledge about the different types of gearing is required. Module, pitch diameter or root diameter are common terms and should therefore be known.
In conjunction with 3D printing, home users now have the opportunity to design and produce gears and worm gears according to their own personal ideas and, if necessary, to adapt them to the constructional conditions.
The FCGear Workbench can be installed via the Addon Manager. For manual installation see Installing more workbenches.
After installation, the tools are available in the Gear toolbar and in the Gear menu.
- Involute Gear: Creates an external involute gear.
- Internal Involute Gear: Creates an internal involute gear.
- Involute Rack: Creates an involute rack.
- Cycloid Gear: Creates a cycloid gear.
- Cycloid Rack: Creates a cycloid rack.
- Bevel Gear: Creates a bevel gear.
- Crown Gear: Creates a crown gear.
- Worm Gear: Creates a worm gear.
- Timing Gear: Creates a timing gear.
- Lantern Gear: Creates a lantern gear.
- HypoCycloid Gear: Creates a hypocycloid gear with its pins.
- Combine two gears: Combines two gears.
Types of gears
From left to right: Spur gearing, helical gearing, double helical gearing (see FCGear InvoluteGear)
Internal involute gear
From left to right: Spur gearing, helical gearing, double helical gearing (see FCGear InternalInvoluteGear)
From left to right: Spur gearing, helical gearing, double helical gearing (See FCGear InvoluteRack)
From left to right: Spur gearing, helical gearing, double helical gearing (see FCGear CycloidGear)
From left to right: Spur gearing, helical gearing, double helical gearing (See FCGear CycloidRack)
From left to right: Spur gearing, spiral gearing (see FCGear BevelGear)
Crown gear (see FCGear CrownGear)
Worm gear (see FCGear WormGear)
Timing gearing (see FCGear TimingGear)
Lantern gearing (see FCGear LanternGear)
Hypocycloid gearing (see FCGear HypoCycloidGear)
- Author: looooo
- Home page: https://github.com/looooo/FCGear
- Source code on github: https://github.com/looooo/FCGear
Links to FCGear Workbench
- FreeCAD Wiki: Macro_FCGear
- FreeCAD Forum: Bevel gear and FCGear
- Report bugs: Please report bugs at https://github.com/looooo/FCGear/issues
Other useful links
- PartDesign InvoluteGear: This tool allows for the creation of a 2D profile of an Involute gear. This 2D profile is fully parametric, and can be padded with the PartDesign Pad feature.
- External Workbenches: A list of all current external workbenches of FreeCAD
- Macros recipes
- Cycloid gearing (German)
- Involute gearing (German)
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Hubs: User hub, Power users hub, Developer hub