|Drafting → Ellipse|
|Introduced in version|
The Draft Ellipse command creates an ellipse in the current working plane from two points defining a rectangle in which the ellipse will fit.
A Draft Ellipse can be turned into an elliptical arc by setting its DataFirst Angle and DataLast Angle properties to different values.
Ellipse defined by the corners of a rectangle
- There are several ways to invoke the command:
- The Ellipse task panel opens. See Options for more information.
- Pick the first point in the 3D view, or type coordinates and press the button.
- Pick the second point in the 3D view, or type coordinates and press the button. This point must not be constrained to the X, Y or Z axis.
The single character keyboard shortcuts available in the task panel can be changed. See Draft Preferences. The shortcuts mentioned here are the default shortcuts.
- To manually enter coordinates enter the X, Y and Z component, and press 3D view before entering coordinates. after each. Or you can press the button when you have the desired values. It is advisable to move the pointer out of the
- Press or click the Relative checkbox to toggle relative mode. If relative mode is on, the coordinates of the second point are relative to the first point, else they are relative to the coordinate system origin.
- Press working plane coordinate system. introduced in version 0.20 or click the Global checkbox to toggle global mode. If global mode is on, coordinates are relative to the global coordinate system, else they are relative to the
- Press DataMake Face set to
trueand will have a filled face.
or click the Filled checkbox to toggle filled mode. If filled mode is on, the created ellipse will have
- Press or click the Continue checkbox to toggle continue mode. If continue mode is on, the command will restart after finishing, allowing you to continue creating ellipses.
- Press Draft snapping on or off. to switch
- Press or the button to abort the command.
- A Draft Ellipse can be edited with the Draft Edit command.
- To change the number of decimals used for the input of coordinates: Edit → Preferences... → General → Units → Units settings → Number of decimals.
- To change the initial value of filled mode: Edit → Preferences... → Draft → General settings → Draft tools options → Fill objects with faces whenever possible. Changing the filled mode in a task panel will override this preference for the current FreeCAD session.
- If the Edit → Preferences... → Draft → General settings → Draft tools options → Use Part Primitives when available option is checked, the command will create a Part Ellipse instead of a Draft Ellipse.
See also: Property editor.
A Draft Ellipse object is derived from a Part Part2DObject and inherits all its properties. It also has the following additional properties:
- DataArea (
Area): (read-only) specifies the area of the face of the ellipse. The value will be
0.0if DataMake Face if
falseor the face cannot be created.
- DataFirst Angle (
Angle): specifies the angle of the first point of the ellipse, normally
- DataLast Angle (
Angle): specifies the angle of the last point of the ellipse, normally
- DataMajor Radius (
Length): specifies the major radius of the ellipse.
- DataMake Face (
Bool): specifies if the ellipse makes a face or not. If it is
truea face is created, otherwise only the perimeter is considered part of the object. This property only works if the shape is a full ellipse.
- DataMinor Radius (
Length): specifies the minor radius of the ellipse.
- ViewPattern (
Enumeration): specifies the Draft Pattern with which to fill the face of the ellipse. This property only works if DataMake Face is
trueand if ViewDisplay Mode is
- ViewPattern Size (
Float): specifies the size of the Draft Pattern.
To create a Draft Ellipse use the
make_ellipse method (introduced in version 0.19) of the Draft module. This method replaces the deprecated
ellipse = make_ellipse(majradius, minradius, placement=None, face=True, support=None)
- Creates an
ellipseobject with given major (
majradius) and minor (
minradius) radius in millimeters.
- The bigger value will be used for the major radius (X axis) if no other placement is given.
Nonethe ellipse is created at the origin.
True, the ellipse will make a face, that is, it will appear filled.
import FreeCAD as App import Draft doc = App.newDocument() ellipse1 = Draft.make_ellipse(3000, 200) ellipse2 = Draft.make_ellipse(700, 1000) zaxis = App.Vector(0, 0, 1) p3 = App.Vector(1000, 1000, 0) place3 = App.Placement(p3, App.Rotation(zaxis, 90)) ellipse3 = Draft.make_ellipse(700, 1000, placement=place3) doc.recompute()