The 3D view of FreeCAD is an instance of a Coin3D scenegraph that forms the most important window in the interface. Coin3D is a library that implements the OpenInventor 2.1 scene description standard.
The 3D view is a component of the FreeCAD interface. By default it shows a small widget with coordinate axes, and the navigation cube also with coordinate axes; the grid can be displayed and configured by loading the Draft Workbench.
When the default Start Workbench is active, right clicking on the 3D view shows only one command:
- Navigation styles: different button styles to use with a 3-button mouse or laptop trackpad.
However, once a Workbench is loaded, there are additional commands:
- Link actions: Make Link.
- Fit all: pans and zooms the view to fit all objects in the document on the screen.
- Fit selection: pans and zooms the view to tightly fit the currently selected object on the screen.
- Draw style: as is, flat lines, shaded, wireframe, points, hidden line, no shading.
- Standard views: isometric, front, top, right, rear, bottom, left, rotate left, rotate right.
- Measure: toggle measurement, clear measurement.
- Document window: docked, undocked, and fullscreen.
Additionally, depending on the workbench and object that is active, other contextual commands may become available.
For example, with the Part Workbench and one object selected:
- Appearance: launches the dialog to change color and sizes of lines and vertices, and color of faces.
- Toggle visibility: makes the object visible or invisible in the 3D view.
- Toggle selectability: makes the object no longer selectable in the 3D view; use again this command to cancel its effect. It sets the object's
false. Change the property by toggling ViewSelectable in the property editor.
- Go to selection: expand the tree view to show the selected object in the hierarchy.
- Random color: assigns a random color to the object. It sets the object's
ShapeColorattribute to a tuple
(r,g,b)with tree random floats between 0 and 1. Change the property by modifying ViewShape Color in the property editor.
- Delete: removes the object from the document, and from the 3D view, by calling the document's
- Draft: object creation and modification commands from the Draft Workbench.
- Utilities: additional contextual commands provided by the Draft Workbench.
FreeCAD uses the Quarter library to use Coin3D in a Qt environment.
It is possible to interact directly with the 3D view scenegraph from the Python console by using the Python library Pivy.
For more information see the power user documentation: